January 9, 2019
Over the last few years I’ve tried a ton of different skin care routines, and I’ve figured out exactly what works for my skin. During the winter months I know that I need to hydrate my skin as much as possible. Running outside in the cold in the morning and spending time indoors with heating on, can really dry my skin out, so here are my golden rules when it comes to winter skin care…
- Oil is your friend and it will NOT cause breakouts! I used to be afraid to put oil on my skin because I thought it would make my skin oily and cause spots. Ironically it has the exact opposite effect. In fact, using oil on my skin has been SO good for it. I use natural oils, like coconut oil and macadamia nut oil every night during winter. Apparently it’s anti ageing too! (FYI I did get asked for ID over Christmas, when buying red wine in Sainsbury’s, so maybe it’s because of the coconut oil! hahah)
- The best way to hydrate your skin is from the inside out. During the summer everyone talks about drinking more water in the hot weather, but it’s just as important to stay hydrated in the winter too. Aim for 2 litres everyday. [*Top tip – Drink two glasses of water first thing in the morning to get a head start]
Also try to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies everyday. Highly nutrient dense foods will help to boost your complexion too.
- Get Moving! Exercising regularly will boost your circulation, clear out toxins and help to improve your skin. Find something that you enjoy and make it a part of your weekly routine. So many gyms and fitness studios have offers on at this time of the year so make the most of it. Try out a new spin class, yoga flow, run club, dance lesson… whatever it takes to get your body moving and break a sweat.
- Face-masks! I’ve only recently started including face-masks into my weekly regime. I usually take time on a Saturday morning, after I’ve been out running, I’ll get home, stretch for 20 mins, have a bath and a face mask. It feels mega indulgent and it leaves my skin feeling super soft. My current fave is the Origins ‘Drink Up 10 minute Hydrating Mask’ the apricot one is the best!
- Get your beauty sleep! I must sound like a broken record at the moment, I’m always talking about sleep. Through out my twenties I never really prioritised sleep to be honest, I used to stay up late most nights but I never associated my skin breakouts or any other issues to the lack of sleep. Now I’m in my thirties and I don’t care how uncool it is to go to bed before 10pm. I bloody love it!!
Don’t take my word for it, try for yourself. Get to bed before 10pm for just 7 days and your skin will thank you for it
So that’s it! You don’t need to spend hundreds of pounds on the latest expert facial or a £90 pot of under eye cream. Keep it simple and start with the basics first. If you’re eating well, sleeping well, staying hydrated and exercising. That should give your skin a really great start!
Let me know your winter skin care rules and any favourite product recommendations. Sharing is caring! I’m on Instagram & Twitter @adrienne_ldn