Tomorrow is my 30th birthday. Over the last few weeks, I’ve had a few friends asking me ‘How do you feel about turning 30?’ They have the kind of look on their face that you would have if you were telling someone that you’d just run over their cat. It’s a sad face with a half smile.
Apparently on the eve of your 30th birthday, your expected to freak out, reflect on your life, assess who you are and contemplate the meaning of your existence. Wowzers!
As with many things, it’s a different conversation for women and men right?
So here are my thoughts about turning thirty…
1. If turning thirty is such a ‘big deal’ then surely I can expect lots of flowers, cards, balloons and gifts. Plus it’s totally acceptable to drag out the celebrations for a whole week! Wooohoooo! Oh and don’t forget the cake 🙂
2. People take you more seriously when you’re in your thirties. When you’re a twenty-something, you know nothing. Now I’m older, I’m wiser. So there.
3. I can admit that I hate clubbing! In fact haven’t enjoyed clubbing since I was twenty one.
4. I’ve been married for 7 years. I know that this is the exception and most of my mates are not married yet. I’m expecting the next decade to include lots and lots of weddings. Hooray!
5. My hubby is 6 years older then me, so no matter how old I get, I’ll always be younger than him. Haha!
6. My skin is better than its ever been. This may be due to changing my diet or it could just be age. Finally no more spots! Oh wait but what about wrinkles. Oh crap.
7. I’m still figuring out what I wanna be when I grow up. How long do I have left to decide?
8. I’ve already ticked off some things from my list that I’ll never have to again. Thank god. Like GCSE history, my driving test & having my wisdom teeth removed.
9. I’ve got the BEST mates! Over the test of time, only true friendships really last.
10. I’m more confident and I trust my own intuition.
11. I’m young enough to remember awesome 90’s stuff like playing snake on my Nokia 3310.
12. I’m old enough to remember when Britney released ‘Baby One More Time’ and remember the choreo! Good times.
13. I’ve decide that in my thirties I’m going to be more stylish. I’m gonna buy nice bags and wear heels more often, just because, you know, I’m in my thirties.
14. I’m going to burn candles and read more. Okay that’s a step to far, but I might get some candles.
15. I still eat too many sweets. Haribo bring me so much joy!
16. I can now talk about people and say ‘we go way back, and it’s actually true!
17. Jude thinks I’m really funny. He told me that I make him laugh when I do funny faces. He doesn’t think that I’m embarrassing yet. Winner.
18. There are so many beautiful places in the world that I’m yet to visit. I’m going to write I wish list of cities and counties. I also really want to learn to speak Italian.
19. I’ve been procrastinating about getting a tattoo for 10 years! I still don’t have any. It’s now or never.
20. I’m so happy to be a mummy, a wife, a sister, and a friend. I’ve got a lot to be happy about and lots to celebrate! Yippee!