At the start of the year, we often have resolutions to get active and fit. Many of us start off strong for a week or two in January, but, it’s not long until we’re stealing our kids sweets and wondering if that blackberry gin & tonic counts as one of your five-a-day. Here are my top tips to help you get motivated & stay motivated!
1. Find a Friend! Agree to jog together twice a week. It’s safer to run in pairs and you are much less likely to give it a miss once you have made the commitment to your mate.
2. Get the Gear! Treat yourself to some new trainers, leggings or sports bra etc. You’ll be more keen to work out and if nothing else, at least you’ll look the part!
3. Challenge yourself! Sign up to a charity run. If you’re a beginner, you could try doing a 5k run. There are lots of different charity runs throughout the year. It’s great to have a date to work towards and you can get family and friends to sponsor you too.
4. Try before you buy. Most gym clubs offer a free day pass, make the most of it and try a few classes too.
5. Give yourself a break! It might not seem like working out is much of a break, but, making time for a yoga class or a jog each week can be a great way for some time-out. Time away from your phone, kids and work etc.
6. You are a role model! We all know that there are huge health benefits to being active. Get the whole family involved in your fitness mission. Walking, scooting, bike riding etc, it’s spring and there is so much to do outdoors. Lead by example and get your skates on Mama!
7. Don’t count calories! Life is too short. Eating should be nourishment, not punishment! Try to eat a rainbow of colours. Most foods that are good for you, are brightly coloured. Eat fresh and raw, stay away from processed junk.
8. Just do it! You can always find an excuse to put it off until next week. It’s too cold, you’re too tired, blah blah blah! If you want to get fit and healthy, you have to get started. What are you waiting for? Just do it!